Search’s West Africa/Sahel portfolio includes Burkina Faso, the Gambia, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone. The West Africa intern will support the West Africa regional team in providing business development, research and knowledge management support to Search’s programs in the region. For more information on our projects in West Africa and the Sahel, please visit www.sfcg.org/africa.
Please review the application instructions below carefully. Incomplete applications cannot be accepted.
The internship is expected to start in January or February 2020 for a 6-month period. The position is based in Search’s Dakar (Senegal) Regional office.
Roles and responsibilities include
- Assisting the Regional Program Development Coordinators with the development of proposals for country and regional programs, including but not limited to researching the contexts, drafting some sections and supporting with budget development as well as the preparation of monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Assisting the European Affairs and Partnerships team with the preparation and follow up of donor meetings and relevant events held in Brussels in close collaboration with the West Africa team.
- Providing extensive and detailed annotated bibliographies of academic and practitioners research on specific topics affecting countries in the region, including in support of the development of regional strategies
- Monitoring and sharing relevant publications including research reports, policy briefs and others as needed
- Assisting with knowledge management tasks (e.g. maintaining contact lists, updating existing databases, etc.)
- Backstopping the Washington, D.C.-, Brussels-, and Dakar-based West Africa team and the country offices overseas with administrative, and minor office management duties as needed.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- B.A. in Political Science, International Relations, International Development, African Studies, or any other relevant subject
- Strong research, writing, editing, and communication skills in both English and French
- High level of analytical and critical thinking skills
- A self-starting, detail-oriented and flexible approach to tasks
- Ability to maintain professionalism, creativity, and enthusiasm while working in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment with minimal supervision
- Demonstrable interest in the West Africa/Sahel regions and interest and knowledge in the field of peace-building and conflict transformation
- Ability to work remotely with minimum supervision
- Master’s Degree in Political Science, International Relations, International Development, African Studies or any other relevant subject
- Interest and knowledge of conflict resolution
- Experience working in a conflict resolution setting
- Experience working at a non-governmental organization/non-profit or similar environment
- International experience
This position will close on January 6, 2020.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal:
- current resume
- cover letter
- two one page writing sample, one French and one English
Please compile your writing sample and resume into one document as the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity – Empathy – Impartiality – Inclusivity – Courage – Hope – Humility – Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.