Social Impact hiring GIS Expert, MCA Senegal II Baseline Study.
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
The Government of Senegal (“Government” or “GoS”) has signed an agreement with the Millennium Challenge Corporation (“MCC”) and plans to allocate part of the funds to contract payments for goods, works and services. The Compact includes an investment by MCC of approximately $550 million USD in grants and an additional Government contribution of $50 million USD, for a total amount of $600 million USD. It is structured around the following three projects:
- The objective of the project “Modernization and strengthening of the Senelec transmission network” is to provide quality electricity from available sources at low cost for Senelec to meet the growing demand on the interconnected network in Senegal.
- The project “Expansion of access to electricity in rural and peri-urban areas” aims to increase the supply of and demand for quality electricity in rural and peri-urban areas of Senegal.
- The project « Enabling framework and capacity building for actors in the electricity sector » aims to create a framework conducive to improving the financial viability and good governance of the sector for the provision of electricity both in quantity and quality.
The GoS, represented by MCA Senegal II, intends to hire a firm to carry out a study on the baseline situation for the MCA Senegal II program.
SI is seeking a GIS Expert for the MCA Senegal II Baseline Study. This is a part-time consulting position to be based in Senegal. The period of performance is expected to begin in May 2021 and last until December 2025.
- Lead project efforts to use satellite imagery to estimate (at a minimum): the number electricity connections, level of electricity consumption, and the percentage of households and businesses located within 35 meters from the network. All data should be able to be collected/analyzed on a frequent/recurring basis.
- Lead the design of a spatial analysis approach that will be able to assess change over time as well as make comparisons between project and non-project areas to better establish the contribution of the project interventions to the outcomes measured.
- Lead and advise on GIS tasks, and design and carry out remote sensing methodologies, manage the GIS maps and data, liaise with implementing partners to get GIS project information, review the GIS information and provide GIS products to team.
- Lead the identification and acquisition of necessary satellite imaging; identify needs for ground-truthing data and collaborate with other team members to ensure adequate survey (or other) data is collected to support spatial analyses.
- Contribute to reports and monitoring indicators.
- Graduate degree in GIS, geography, computer science, engineering, business, or related field required.
- Minimum of seven years of progressively responsible, professional-level experience in GIS, remote sensing, and/or spatial analyses required.
- Previous project experience in the electricity sector strongly preferred.
- Experience with data visualization beyond mapping is a plus.
- Experience providing GIS technical assistance on MCC-funded projects desirable.
- Oral and written fluency in French is preferred.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.